As per GST Act, job work means any treatment or process undertaken by a person on goods belonging to another registered person. The person doing the job work is called job worker.
ITC on goods sent for job work
The principal manufacturer will be allowed to take credit of tax paid on the purchase of goods sent on job work.
However, there are certain conditions.
A.Goods can be sent to job worker:
From principal’s place of business,
Directly from the place of supply of the supplier of such goods
ITC will be allowed in both the cases.
B.Effective date for goods sent depends on place of business:
Sent from principal’s place of business- Date of goods sent out
Send directly from the place of supply of the supplier of such goods- Date of receipt by job worker
Effective date is important because it will help to determine the point of taxation if the goods are not returned back within the specified time (see point C below)
C.The goods sent must be received back by the principal manufacture within the following period:
Capital Goods- 3 years & Input Goods- 1 year
D.In case goods are not received back within the period mentioned above,
Such goods will be treated as supply from the effective date and tax will be payable by the principal.
Accounts & records
The responsibility for keeping proper accounts for the inputs or capital goods shall lie with the principal.
Challan is must for the inputs or capital goods sent directly to the job-worker.
The details of challans must be shown in FORM GSTR-1 & also be filed through Form GST ITC – 04.
The challan issued includes-
Date and number of the delivery challan
Name, address and GSTIN of the consigner and consignee
HSN code, description and quantity of goods
Taxable value, tax rate, tax amount- CGST, SGST, IGST, UTGST separately
Place of supply and signature
FORM GST ITC-04 must be submitted by the principal every quarter. He must include the details of challans in respect of the following-
Goods dispatched to a job worker or
Received from a job worker or
Sent from one job worker to another
It must be furnished on or before 25th day of the month succeeding the quarter. For example, for Oct-Dec quarter, the due date is 25th Jan.
For more information on ITC-04 please refer our article.
This applies for items removed for job work before GST and returned on or after GST implementation.
No tax will be payable if the following conditions are satisfied:
The goods are returned to the factory within 6 months from 1st July (i.e. by 31st Dec 2017) (extendable for a maximum period of 2 months).
Goods held by job worker is declared in Form TRAN-1
The principal manufacturer can sell off the items under job work only after paying required taxes (Excise & VAT if before GST. If he sells after 1st July 2017, then GST applies). This rule does not apply to goods exported out of India within 6 months from the appointed date (extendable by not more than 2 months).
If the goods are not returned within the time period then ITC will be recovered from the principal manufacturer.
FORM GST TRAN-1
Both the job worker and the principal manufacturer must submit FORM GST TRAN-1 and mention the details of stock held by job worker for principal/ with job worker/by job
Due date is 30th November 2017
They must specify the stock of the inputs, semi-finished goods or finished goods held by them on 1stJuly 2017.
GST Rates on Job work
Job Work (0%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing, animal husbandry, Intermediary services related to cultivation and animal rearing
Job Work (5%)
- Printing of newspapers, Textile and textile products, Jewelry, Printing of books (including Braille books), journals and periodicals, Processing of hides, skins and leather, clay & bricks
- Goods falling under Chapter 48 or 49 [Heading 9988] which attracts 5%
Job Work (12%)
- Job work in relation to manufacture of umbrella 12%
- Goods falling under Chapter 48 or 49 [Heading 9988] which attracts 12%
- printing of all goods falling under Chapter 48 or 49, which attract GST @ 5% or Nil, where only content is supplied by the publisher and the physical inputs including paper used for printing belong to the printer [(Heading 9989)] 12%
- Printing of all goods falling under Chapter 48 or 49 which attract GST @12%, where only content is supplied by the publisher and the physical inputs including paper used for printing belong to the printer 12%
Job Work (18%)
- Goods falling under Chapter 48 or 49, other than those covered by (6) and (7) above, [Heading 9988] 18%
- Printing of all goods falling under Chapter 48 or 49 which attract GST @18% or above, where only content is supplied by the publisher and the physical inputs including paper used for printing belong to the printer 18%
For More details about GST Click here Pearl GST